The Fred Heutte Center Bulletin Board
The FHC Bulletin Board
If you have an item you'd like posted on our bulletin board, please send it to us, or bring it by. The Center reserves exclusive right to determine which notices will be placed on our website.
A Note from the Tidewater Daylily Society:
We’d like to remind our fellow plant lovers that because of the convention, Tidewater Daylily Society will not be having its annual daylily plant sale and show at Norfolk Botanical Garden in June. We will, however, still be hosting Daylily Plant sales on two dates this year. They include July 15th at McDonald Garden Center, 1144 Independence Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA; and the Master Gardener’s Fall Festival at AREC, 1444 Diamond Springs Rd, Virginia Beach, VA. (date to be announced) Never fear! The NBG daylily plant show and sale will go on as usual in 2018!
The Butterfly Society of Virginia
Visit our website with a click here!
Manuel del Toro
BSV Publicity Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Muse News: May 25, 2017
1-Neil Hyde Art Exhibition & Reception Sat.; 2-Spotlights: Get Yourself Writing
3-Register Now for Summer Classes, Workshops, & Seminars; 4-Wed. Happy Hour at Luna Maya
5-Join The Writers Reservoir on Facebook; 6-Erin Beaty Book Launch & Reading June 4
7-HRW Conference Early Discount & Writing Contests; 8-The Muse Open Tues. & Wed.
Register Now for Summer Classes & Seminars
See below for more information and to register.
Neil Hyde Exhibition & Opening Reception
Join us for a reception for Neil Hyde's latest exhibition of his paintings Saturday, May 27, 4-6 p.m. at The Muse Writers Center (2200 Colonial Ave. Suite #3, Ghent, Norfolk, 23517, 818-9880). Come meet the artist and learn more about his work, with an opportunity to purchase paintings. Light refreshments will be served. All are welcome! More information: www.facebook.com/events/1103386389766202.
Spotlight: Health and Wellness for Writers
Part of our First Saturday of The Muse Summer, Get Yourself Writing Day
Saturday, June 10, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., a 1 meeting seminar
Only 8 seats remain. Visit www.the-muse.org/workshops.html#create or call 818-9880 to register.
In this course, we’ll cover basic principles of wellness, such as physical and mental health. We’ll discuss specific wellness issues we may encounter as writers, then explore and brainstorm real-world, practical solutions. We’ll target areas that will affect your well-being for the rest of your life. It’s the course that keeps on giving long after it’s over! This session will include some gentle stretching, so be prepared to move a little. All physical ability levels welcome. Instructor: Cait Woods. Open to: all.
Spotlight: Conquering Writer’s Block
Part of our First Saturday of The Muse Summer, Get Yourself Writing Day
Saturday, June 10, 1-3:30 p.m., a 1 meeting seminar
Only 7 seats remain. Visit www.the-muse.org/workshops.html#craft or call 818-9880 to register.
Writers block, stumble, stall, seizure, pause, stop, burnout. No matter what we call it, it invades our heads, on a particular piece or in everything we do. Everyone is at risk. Although we don't think writer's block will happen to us, it can and probably will. The good news is there are simple steps we can take to cure it and resume creating our literary masterpieces. In the workshop, we will look at the who, what, where, when, why, and how of blocks, what we can do to overcome them, and techniques to keep it away. Instructor: John McCarthy. Open to: all.
Summer Class & Seminar Schedule Announced!
Visit www.the-muse.org/workshops.html for class descriptions, tuition, and to register online. Tuition assistance and flexibility is always available. Visit the website, call the office at 818-9880, or email us at email@example.com for more information.
We have many new classes... including everything from Creative Writing Camp for Adults, Kids, or Teens and The Visual Vocabulary of Film to The Beat Generation Poetry Workshop and Social Realism in Poetry and Prose! Plus great new craft, research, & professional development classes like Health and Wellness for Writers; Biomes & Exotic Ecosystems; Hostages, Crisis, and Negotiations; and more! Please help us spread the word!
Classes to Jumpstart Your Creativity & Writing
· Health and Wellness for Writers NEW!
· Journaling for Creative Growth NEW!
· Start Writing, Keep Writing... Write Now (Morning & Evening Sessions)
· Spark Your Creativity
· Exploring Our Voice as Women
· Seven Habits of Creative People
· Let Your Words Flow: Write Anything
· Unlock your Creative Voice with Guided Imagery and Music NEW!
· Creative Writing Camp for Adults NEW!
· Introduction to Writing Poetry (Morning & Evening Sections)
· The Poetry Workshop
· Poetry from the Dark Side NEW!
· Coarseness, Valor, Visions, and Love NEW!
· The Beat Generation Poetry Workshop NEW!
· Love Poems: The Hunger of Words NEW!
· Villanelles NEW!
· The Practice of Poetry NEW!
· Writing our Lives: Social Realism in Poetry and Prose NEW!
· Our Only World: Writing about Nature and the Environment in Poetry NEW!
· The Poetry Studio
· Introduction to Fiction Writing (Morning & Evening Sections)
· Writing Children’s Picture Books
· Flash Fiction: Quick Storytelling NEW!
· Beginning the Novel
· The Fiction Workshop (Morning & Evening Sections)
· Continuing the Novel
· The Fiction Studio
Memoir & Creative Nonfiction
· Introduction to Memoir & Creative Nonfiction (Morning & Evening Sections) NEW!
· Narrative Nonfiction in a Flash
· The Memoir Workshop
· The Memoir & Creative Nonfiction Workshop NEW!
· The Creative Nonfiction Workshop
· Advanced Narrative Nonfiction in a Flash
· Building Your Memoir: From Blueprint to Book (and everything in between)
Writers Craft, Research, & Professional Development
· Conquering Writer’s Block NEW!
· Biomes & Exotic Ecosystems: A World Building Seminar NEW!
· Writing Good Romance NEW!
· A Grammar Refresher
· Writing Your Dreams NEW!
· Subtext: Using Misconception and Mystery NEW!
· Creating a Web Presence and Blog
· Turn Your Fragments into Stories NEW!
· The Nuts and Bolts of Scrivener
· Psychologists, Psychology, and Psychotherapy: Research for Writers NEW!
· But What’s It About? NEW!
· Developing Characters NEW!
· The Future of Society and Conflict
· Hostages, Crisis, and Negotiations NEW!
· Copy Editing
· How to Write Suspense NEW!
· Tense: Moments and the Shades of Time NEW!
· Writing Arts Reviews NEW!
· How to Write True Crime NEW!
· How to Self-Publish Your Book NEW!
· Agents and Publishers: Demystifying the Process NEW!
· A Punctuation Refresher
· Advanced Scrivener
· The Salvation of Science Fiction: Imaginary Technology NEW!
· How to Submit Your Work to Magazines and Journals
· The Short Story: An Excavation NEW!
· Preparing for Your Reading
Art for Writers
· Bookmaking: Blank Journals
· Zentangle for Beginners NEW!
· Collage: Your Words with Images NEW!
· Calligraphy: The Uncial Alphabet NEW!
· Sup, Sip, & Shoot NEW!
Songwriting & Ukulele
· Start Songwriting Saturday
· Songwriting: The Lyrical Craft
· Ukulele for Beginners
Scriptwriting (Screenwriting, Comic Books, Graphic Novels)
· Writing Comic Books & Graphic Novels
· The Visual Vocabulary of Film NEW!
Classes for Kids & Teens
· Young Writers (ages 7-8) Week NEW!
· Young Writers (ages 9-11) Week NEW!
· Teen Writers Week NEW!
· Young Writers (ages 9-11) Workshop
· Teen Writers Workshop (ages 12-17) (Morning & Evening Sections)
· Crafting the College Application Essay NEW!
Writers Happy Hour Every Wednesday!
Join us every Wednesday from 5:15-7 p.m. at a different location in Norfolk's Ghent for an informal get-together where area writers and Muse teachers, students, and friends enjoy conversation, camaraderie, and drinks. Feel free to let us know you’re coming on Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheMuseWritersCenter.
Calendar of Wednesday Writers' Happy Hours:
· Wednesday, May 31: Luna Maya (2010 Colley Ave. and 21st St., Norfolk, 23517, 622-6986), $3 drafts till 6:30 p.m.
· Wednesday, June 7: Plaza Del Sol (2200 Colonial Ave. Suite #1, Norfolk, 23517, 622-2701, 2 doors down from The Muse), $3 well drinks, $4 margaritas, $1 off beers.
· Complete calendar and more information: www.the-muse.org/readings-events.html.
Join The Writers Reservoir on Facebook
Visit www.facebook.com/groups/WritersReservoir and connect with other writers and share articles, essays and personal experiences about being a writer in the world today as well as information about places to submit, contests, conferences, and more. The Writers Reservoir is more than a writers’ resource, it is a writers’ community! It is a place where writers can share, learn, connect and find that often elusive creative spark. The Writers Reservoir is an open Facebook group. All writers are welcome to join and send invitations to join.
Erin Beaty Book Launch & Reading
Come celebrate the launch of Muse teacher, Erin Beaty’s, new novel, The Traitor's Kiss, Sunday, June 4, 3;30 p.m. at The Muse Writers Center (2200 Colonial Ave. Suite #3, Ghent, Norfolk, 23517, 818-9880). Erin will read from her new novel, The Traitor's Kiss. Books will be available for sale and signing by the author. Light refreshments provided. All are welcome. More information on Facebook: www.facebook.com/events/212355515938658
Early Bird Discount & Contests at the Hampton Roads Writers Conference
Muse Students Receive HRW Member Discount
Register Now and enter one of 3 free writing contests (deadline to submit: July 7)
The 8th Annual Conference is September 15-17 at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Convention Center (5655 Greenwich Road, Virginia Beach). One evening plus two full days of workshops, two best-selling keynoters, two first ten-lines critique sessions, 60 workshops during 10 breakout sessions, ten-minute agent/publisher pitches, cash prize contests for short fiction, short nonfiction, and poetry, complimentary 90-minute cocktail social, a two-hour open mic, and 2-hour open mic, and optional 4-hour add-on writer’s boot camp session; workshops cover fiction, nonfiction, memoir, poetry, marketing, and the business of getting published. A book shop, book signings, and many networking opportunities abound. Register before June 9 for the early-bird discount ($190 HRW members & Muse Students/$225.00 non-members). Includes 2 lunches, breakfast snacks, and appetizers at the social. Scholarships & special rates available. More information and to register: www.hamptonroadswriters.org or 757-639-6146.
We're Open on Tuesdays & Wednesdays!
In addition to being open Tuesdays from 10 a.m.-7 p.m., we are now open to the public Wednesdays from 12:30-5 p.m. Come join us and write, read, or learn more about The Muse. The Muse Writers Center is at 2200 Colonial Ave. Suite #3 in Norfolk’s Ghent neighborhood (23517)—in the Ghent Market Shops.
The Chesapeake Arboretum
Eggleston Garden Center
Ferguson Center for the Fine Arts
Newport News, VA
Friends of Fred Heutte Foundation © 2002-present