The Fred Heutte Center Bulletin Board
The FHC Bulletin Board
If you have an item you'd like posted on our bulletin board, please send it to us, or bring it by. The Center reserves exclusive right to determine which notices will be placed on our website.
A Note from the Tidewater Daylily Society:
We’d like to remind our fellow plant lovers that because of the convention, Tidewater Daylily Society will not be having its annual daylily plant sale and show at Norfolk Botanical Garden in June. We will, however, still be hosting Daylily Plant sales on two dates this year. They include July 15th at McDonald Garden Center, 1144 Independence Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA; and the Master Gardener’s Fall Festival at AREC, 1444 Diamond Springs Rd, Virginia Beach, VA. (date to be announced) Never fear! The NBG daylily plant show and sale will go on as usual in 2018!
The Butterfly Society of Virginia
Visit our website with a click here!
Manuel del Toro
BSV Publicity Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Muse News: September 18, 2017
1-Book Lovers Bash Saturday; 2-Muse Reading Tonight at La Bella; 3-Wed. Happy Hour at Green Onion
4-Fall Classes, Workshops, & Seminars Announced!; 5-Writers Block Taping Fri.
6-Join The Writers Reservoir on Facebook; 7-The Muse Open Tues. & Wed.
NEW Fall Class, Workshop, & Seminar Schedule Announced!
See below for more information and to register.
GET YOUR TICKETS TODAY!
The Muse’s 2nd Annual Book Lovers Bash
You’re invited to The Book Lovers Bash, Saturday, September 23 (7-10 p.m.) at the Slover Library.
Individual tickets to the Bash and VIP Reception are available as well as many opportunities to become a bash sponsor. Please visit http://donate.the-muse.org/bash or call 757-818-9880 for advanced tickets, sponsorships, and more information. See our Facebook event at www.facebook.com/events/1880082888977585.
Bash only: $35: Bash is from 7-10 p.m., and includes fantastic desserts, a cash bar, a silent auction, a performance by Skye Zentz, a DJ, literary characters, a prize wheel, a photo booth, and other great entertainment.
VIP Reception & Bash: $125: VIP reception is from 6-7:30 p.m., and includes a full, open bar, heavy hors d’oeuvres, music and entertainment, remarks and a short reading by Joe Jackson (the 2017 PEN America Award in Biography), a meet-and-greet with local literati, and admission to the Bash (7-10 p.m.).
Muse September Reading Series
Join us Tonight!
Featuring work created in our fall classes, the September Reading Series will have three readings. Come and support your friends and the local literary scene while enjoying some great words! All readings are free and open to the public with a suggested donation which goes to our scholarship funds. We'd like to fill the place up! La Bella serves great food and drinks, so please consider eating dinner there. Making reservations for dinner/seats is important! Let us know you’re coming on Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheMuseWritersCenter.
· Monday, September 18, 7 p.m. at La Bella in Ghent (738 W. 22nd St., Suite 7, Norfolk, 622-6172, www.labellainghent.com).
· More information and a list of readers: www.the-muse.org/readings-events.html.
Writers Happy Hour Every Wednesday!
Join us every Wednesday from 5:15-7 p.m. at a different location in Norfolk's Ghent for an informal get-together where area writers and Muse teachers, students, and friends enjoy conversation, camaraderie, and drinks. Feel free to let us know you’re coming on Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheMuseWritersCenter.
Calendar of Wednesday Writers' Happy Hours:
· Wednesday, September 20: The Green Onion (1603 Colley Ave., Ghent, Norfolk, 23517, 963-1200), 1/2 price glasses of wine, 1/2 price Virginia beers, $2 off well drinks.
· Wednesday, September 27: The Torch Bistro (601 Orapax St., Norfolk, 23507, 416-6848, a few blocks from The Muse, www.thetorchbistro.com), $2 domestic bottles, $4 well drinks.
· Complete calendar and more information: www.the-muse.org/readings-events.html.
Fall Classes, Workshops, & Seminars Announced!
Visit www.the-muse.org/workshops.html for class descriptions, tuition, and to register online. Tuition assistance and flexibility is always available. Visit the website, call the office at 818-9880, or email us at email@example.com for more information.
We have many new classes... including everything from Storytelling: The Stories Inside Us and Travel Writing for the Passionate Adventurer to Playwriting and The Screenwriting Workshop! Plus great new craft, research, & professional development classes like Social Media for Writers; Crafting the Elevator Pitch; Nearby Stars and Exoplanets; and more! Please help us spread the word!
LAST CHANCE! September 2017:
· Crafting the College Application Essay NEW!
Fall 2017 BELOW:
Classes to Jumpstart Your Creativity & Writing
· Writing Through Depression NEW!
· Writing the Eulogy NEW!
· Start Writing, Keep Writing... Write Now (Morning & Evening Sessions)
· Unlock your Creative Voice with Guided Imagery and Music
· Spark Your Creativity
· Storytelling: The Stories Inside Us NEW!
· Journaling for Creative Growth
· Seven Habits of Creative People
· Travel Writing for the Passionate Adventurer NEW!
· Writing the Working Class NEW!
· Health and Wellness for Writers
· Introduction to Writing Poetry (Morning & Evening Sections)
· The Poetry Workshop
· 31 Poems in 31 Days: Writing Your Way Through OctPoWriMo NEW!
· Ekphrastic Hybridity: The Poet Photographer NEW!
· No Poem, No Life: Orpheus, Marsyas, Sappho, and the Poetry of Urgency NEW!
· I Must Confess: Poems from Personal Experiences NEW!
· The Rose and the Thorn: Poems that Please and Pierce NEW!
· Prose Poems and Other Hybrid Experiments NEW!
· The Sea as Metaphor: Poetry of the Sea NEW!
· The Poetry Studio
· Introduction to Fiction Writing (Morning & Evening Sections)
· Beginning the Novel
· The Fiction Workshop (Morning & Evening Sections)
· Continuing the Novel
· Flash Fiction: Quick Storytelling NEW!
· The Fiction Studio
Memoir & Creative Nonfiction
· Introduction to Memoir & Creative Nonfiction (Morning & Evening Sections) NEW!
· Narrative Nonfiction in a Flash: Morning Session NEW!
· The Memoir & Creative Nonfiction Workshop (Morning & Evening Sections)
· Advanced Narrative Nonfiction in a Flash
· Building Your Memoir: From Blueprint to Book (and everything in between)
Writers Craft, Research, & Professional Development
· Creating a Web Presence and Blog
· A Grammar Refresher
· Writing Good Romance
· Pictures Into Words NEW!
· Social Media for Writers NEW!
· Destroying the Ordinary: Writing Supernatural Horror NEW!
· The Nuts and Bolts of Scrivener
· Crafting the Elevator Pitch NEW!
· Copy Editing
· Writing Law and Lawyers NEW!
· The Art, Technique, and Necessity of the Literary Review NEW!
· Nearby Stars and Exoplanets NEW!
· Settings: Give Your Characters Somewhere to Go NEW!
· Advanced Scrivener
· How to Self-Publish Your Book
· The Art of the Interview NEW!
· Beyond the Linear Plot Structure NEW!
· A Punctuation Refresher
· Witnesses and Suspects, Police Interviews and Investigation NEW!
· How to Submit Your Work to Magazines and Journals
· Planning and Strategies for Authors NEW!
· Old English: Then and Now NEW!
· Preparing for Your Reading
Art for Writers
· Calligraphy: The Uncial Alphabet
· Calligraphy: The Art of Elegant Handwriting
· Bookmaking: Blank Journals
· A Zentangle Workshop NEW!
Food & Cookbook Writing
· Writing Cookbooks NEW!
Songwriting & Ukulele
· Big Bold Ballads: Storytelling in Songwriting NEW!
· Songwriting: The Lyrical Craft
· Ukulele for Beginners
Scriptwriting (Screenwriting, Playwriting, Comic Books, Graphic Novels)
· The Screenwriting Workshop NEW!
· Writing Comic Books & Graphic Novels
· The Comic Book & Graphic Novel Workshop NEW!
· Playwriting NEW!
Classes for Kids & Teens
· Young Writers (ages 7-8) Day NEW!
· Young Writers (ages 9-11) Workshop
· Teen Writers Workshop: Saturday Mornings
· Teen Writers Workshop: Monday Evenings
· Young Songwriters Workshop NEW!
The Writer's Block on WHRV 89.5 FM
The September Writer’s Block reading and taping is Friday, September 22 from 7-9 p.m. at the MEO Central Library
(4100 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach). Seating is limited. Submissions to read are still being accepted from poets, writers, and storytellers for this and future tapings. Submissions must be no longer than 9 minutes in length, contain NO PROFANITY, and the name and performance time must be included on the attached submission. Email submissions to Kathy.firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Even if you are not reading, please attend!
Join The Writers Reservoir on Facebook
Visit www.facebook.com/groups/WritersReservoir and connect with other writers and share articles, essays and personal experiences about being a writer in the world today as well as information about places to submit, contests, conferences, and more. The Writers Reservoir is more than a writers’ resource, it is a writers’ community! It is a place where writers can share, learn, connect and find that often elusive creative spark. The Writers Reservoir is an open Facebook group. All writers are welcome to join and send invitations to join.
We're Open on Tuesdays & Wednesdays!
In addition to being open Tuesdays from 10 a.m.-7 p.m., we are now open to the public Wednesdays from 12:30-5 p.m. Come join us and write, read, or learn more about The Muse. The Muse Writers Center is at 2200 Colonial Ave. Suite #3 in Norfolk’s Ghent neighborhood (23517)—in the Ghent Market Shops.
The Chesapeake Arboretum
Eggleston Garden Center
Ferguson Center for the Fine Arts
Newport News, VA
Friends of Fred Heutte Foundation © 2002-present